We are constantly being told we need to add actives to our skincare routine, but how are we to know which ones? Here Dr Thivi Maruthappu lifts the lid on the active ingredients we should be choosing and why….
Dr Thivi Maruthappu explains “Active ingredients are the cornerstone of intelligent skincare. Should you wish to boost your skin, there is an active (or even a few of them!) that you should look out for to get the optimum results you’re looking for.”
THE RETINOL AND COLLAGEN POWER DUO
First up, one of Dr Thivi’s favourites! “At night, one of my favourite ingredients is retinol” Olay Retinol24 Night Face Cream is the UK’s #No1 Retinol product and has been uniquely formulated to remain stable from first use to last, allowing its active ingredients to penetrate deep into skin’s surface. Dr Thivi adds “This power player ingredient is one of the most highly researched skincare actives, and it’s worth the hype.
It works in multiple ways to smooth, brighten and targets fine lines and pigmentation. You’ll find two types of retinol (Retinyl Propionate and Retinol) in Olay Retinol24, which has been formulated to minimise dryness and peeling that can often be associated with retinol products.”
Combine your Retinol24 with the Olay Collagen Peptide24 Day Cream and you’ve got the building blocks to the ultimate skincare power duo. Why? Well using retinoids and peptides together means you get the collagen-building effects of the retinoid, but it also works to improve the penetration of the peptides, which helps improve skin elasticity. Dr Thivi explains “Olay Collagen Peptide24 contains a highly researched peptide formulation that actually tricks your skin into making more collagen.
Collagen is the major structural protein of the skin, giving it bounce and radiance. Over time levels start to decline, starting in our early 20’s which can eventually lead to dullness and a loss of plumpness. By including collagen peptide in your skincare routine, you can help boost naturally occurring collagen in the skin.”
Olay prides itself on the use and development of active ingredients, ensuring that its products work in harmony together. Unsure if the products are for you? Well now you can try them with the security of our money back guarantee. The concept is simple, purchase your Olay Collagen Peptide24 and Retinol24 and wake up to visibly stronger and glowing skin from this two-week commitment, or you get your money back.*
When you’re using active, don’t forget the SPF
With the weather heating up and the sun shining more regularly makes another great addition to your daily skincare routine, Olay Regenerist Glow SPF30 Moisturiser provides a matte finish that helps protect your skin from harmful UVA and UVB so be sure to use it every day, not matter your plans! Dr Thivi “If your skin is feeling dull, try Olay Glow SPF30, containing niacinamide, an all-round skin brightener which boosts the skin barrier for a smooth even complexion.
A great ingredient for all skin types, even if you are prone to breakouts or sensitive skin, it is both anti-inflammatory and brightening.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your hands on the hottest actives and make the summer of the decade the summer of skin love!
ANALYSING THE ACTIVES NIACINAMIDE
- Also known as Vitamin B3, it’s an essential nutrient for your skin. Working as a multitasker it can boost skin hydration, protect the skin from environmental damage and renew the complexion from within
- It can also rejuvenate the under-eye area, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and also help with dark spots and hyperpigmentation
- Niacinamide also regulates sebum production, so is great at helping to control oily skin COLLAGEN PEPTIDES
- Collagen is a larger molecule, so it would be unable to penetrate your skin’s natural barrier if it were applied topically in a cream. Olay has researched Collagen Peptide, a specific molecule made up of a sequence of amino acids that is naturally found in collagen. This peptide has been shown to trigger skin cells to produce new collagen
- Multiple clinical studies showed that Olay’s Collagen Peptide can help smooth your skin’s texture, giving it back its original glow, and it can efficiently reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Retinol is one of the most potent anti-ageing forms of Vitamin A. Not to be confused with retinoids, which is the umbrella term for all the Vitamin A compounds and derivatives — including retinoic acid and retinol
- Olay has created a ground-breaking formula that’s suitable for most skin types. We have spent decades carefully developing a proprietary formula with a unique combination of Retinoid Complex and Vitamin B3, which penetrates up to 10 surface layers deep, ensuring 24 hours of hydration
- Olay’s retinoid complex helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, reduce dark spots and the appearance of pores, hydrates for 24 hours and leaves skin looking brighter and smoother
Visit your local Boots store or the website to purchase Olay’s power duo. What’s more, it’s now better than half price until 30th June.