The changes we have experienced in the last year have impacted our lives in many ways including our skin; 56% of women have admitted their skin has changed entirely. This has prompted the nation to review their skin-care routines, either to simplify or overhaul completely. But one thing we’re not talking about, is the impact up top. A prolonged period of stress has had the nation’s scalps reacting, with searches for ‘flaky scalp’ and ‘scalp micropigmentation’ rising 300%.
And as our scalp is an extension of our skin, we need to look after it with a revived routine as robust as our facial care.
Just like the pores on the face can become clogged and congested, the pores of the scalp can too, which can lead to the appearance of flakes, dryness, and itchiness. To battle these common scalp concerns, Head & Shoulders has created the ultimate solution with the Deep Cleanse shampoo range – its first clear, anti-dandruff shampoo formula for deep pore cleansing.
Inspired by the insight that 52% of people are looking for a product designed to give deep cleansing, the new transparent formula has been expertly developed with ‘Deep Pore Cleansing Technology’ and hero active ingredient, Piroctone Olamine. The technology works to transform congested scalps to become clean and refreshed, providing up to 72 hours of dandruff protection.
Dr Anjali Mahto, Consultant Dermatologist, explains why it’s important to use the right anti-dandruff products to promote scalp health: “Shampoos containing Piroctone Olamine can improve the condition of the scalp, and when combined with the right conditioner, can maintain its effects at reducing flaking for up to 72 hours unlike other commercially available products. This is important as many traditional conditioners may otherwise wash away the dandruff-fighting ingredient.”
Deep in the pores of the scalp is where excess oil and dandruff-causing germs thrive, causing a vicious cycle of oiliness and dandruff. To tackle this at the root of the problem, the new H&S formula, gives a deep pore cleanse, ensuring the scalp not only looks clean, but feels clean too.
Dr Alia Ahmed, Consultant Psychodermatologist, explains: “Just like our skin, the scalp acts as a host to not only hair, but also oil, dead skin, dirt, irritants, sweat, hair-styling products and microbes. Problems that can occur include scalp build-up and overgrowth of yeasts to cause dandruff, dryness, and itching. The result is an irritated scalp, which is struggling to house and nourish healthy hair. Clogging of hair follicles from dead skin and build-up on hairs from the surrounding environment can further diminish hair quality. Effective scalp cleansing, using products like Head & Shoulders Deep Cleanse, means that the surface from which hair grows is kept free from such factors for up to 72 hours*. Additionally, ingredients such as citrus for oil control, soothing peppermint for itching and scalp purifying sea minerals, with the deep pore cleansing technology, help to maintain a healthy scalp which really means healthy hair.”
So, what are Dr Alia’s tips and tricks for the best scalpcare routine?
- Choose targeted shampoos and conditioners to nourish the hair and cleanse/treat the scalp. Also think about UV protection and antioxidant ingredients, for example, for dandruff look for Piroctone Olamine, for itchiness look for soothing peppermint.
- Use products regularly and spend time washing and cleaning your scalp and hair properly. Massage in shampoos well, then rinse off properly to ensure you are giving your hair AND scalp a deep clean.
- Don’t replace regular washing with treatments. For example, an alternative to scalp exfoliants, which are popular at the moment but need to be used carefully, could be Head & Shoulders Deep Cleanse Scalp Detox with sea minerals, to gain that purified and deep clean feeling that lasts up to 72 hours*
Head & Shoulders Deep Cleanse, transparent formula, offers a solution that is free from phosphates, added SLS, paraffins and silicones. Deep Cleanse is available in three variants that can be used in conjunction with any Head & Shoulders conditioner to complement the nourishing and active anti-dandruff ingredients for a full scalp-care routine:
- OIL CONTROL with Citrus to fight and remove excess oil
- ITCHY SCALP with Peppermint to soothe an itchy scalp
- SCALP DETOX with Sea Minerals to purify the scalp
Head & Shoulders Deep Cleanse range is available now in 400ml at Superdrug for £5.99 RRP