Located in a little pocket of Italy known as Mercato Metropolitano, Bottles & Battles is an Italian wine bar in the heart of Southwark.
Established in 2016 by Italian food & wine aficionados Franco Mancini and Daniele Marano. The duo recently launched BOTTLES in July 2018. This cozy bar offers a range of wines spanning all of Italy’s regions and beyond, as well as serving delicious traditional Italian small plates.
Examples from the wine list include:
- Malvazia Venezia Giulia Skerk IGT 2014 – Friuli, Italy
- Manzoni Bianco Dolomiti Maso Fruli IGT 2015 – Trentino, Italy
- Fiano Don Chisciotte Zampaglione IGT 2016 – Campania, Italy
- Riesling Trocken ‘Kalkmergel’ Weingut Knipser 2013 – Pfalz, Germany
- Vermentino Lunadu` Du Isola Del Nuraghi 2014 – Sardinia, Italy
- Bourgogne Blanc ‘Les Setilles’ Oliver Leflaive 2015 – Bourgogne, France
- Keknyelu Szeremley Badacsony 2006 – Hungary
- Valtellina Superiore Costa Bassa Sandro Fay 2015 – Lombardy, Italy
- Barbera D`alba Casina Della Rose DOC 2013 – Piedmont, Italy
- ‘Esegesi’ Vallagarina Eugenio Rosi 2013 – Trentino, Italy
- Amarone Della Valpolicella Ca’Coato Antolini DOCG – Piedmont, Italy
- Scire`Bolgheri Rosso DOC 2017 – Tuscany, Italy
- Brunello di Montalcino 2012 DOCG – Tuscany, Italy
- Etna Rosso ‘Puritani’ Cantine Valenti DOC 2012 – Sicily, Italy
- Sirkel Pinotage 2016 – Paarl. South Africa
The venue, beautifully lit with Italian rusticity, features a large communal table as well as a cozy snug area encouraging all kinds of groups. From large parties enjoying bottles and sharing dishes, to couples looking for a more intimate meal. For those wishing to dine in, Bottles & Battles offers a selection of regularly changing small plates as well as delicious charcuterie boards and Italian classics.
Examples from the food menu include:
- Aubergine parmigiana (£7)
- Tuscan prosciutto with burrata and carasau bread (£11.50)
- Parpardelle with sausage ragu (£9.50)
With regular wine tasting events on offer as well, Bottles & Battles is the perfect place for those wanting to hone their knowledge of different grape varieties. The bar’s in-house sommeliers will guide guests of all levels through a range of hand-selected wines.
With a strong list of wines focused on small producers forgotten grapes, organic and natural winemaking styles, Bottles & Battles’ tastings events will give guests a chance to try something new.
Bottles & Battles
42 Newington Causeway