On Thursday 21 November, Oxford Street will wow shoppers with a brand new Christmas lights scheme to celebrate its 60th year of lighting up the capital. In partnership with Capital XTRA – the UK’s leading urban radio station – shoppers will be treated to a series of in store hip-hop, grime and R&B music from the UK’s freshest homegrown urban artists – cementing the destinations fashion and music credentials. Expect performances from rising starlet rapper Ms Banks, singer-songwriter Joy Crookes, as well as live DJ sets from the all-new Capital XTRA presenters Yinka and Shayna Marie.
- Ms Banks at Nike: The 25-year-old Londoner will be performing hits from her brand new album “Coldest Winter Ever pt.2”, released on 14th November 2019. The album follows on from Ms Banks’ 2018 debut project “The Coldest Winter Ever” and puts the spotlight on her unique and fierce flow. Her penchant for wordplay and earworm melodies has made her a jewel in the crown of contemporary British hip-hop.
- Joy Crookes at Topshop: The twenty-one-year-old singer-songwriter from South London is undoubtedly one of the most exciting artists to emerge in the music scene this year. With a voice that belies her age, she is fearless in attitude and uses musical talent as a tool to understand her own identity. Though Joy’s 2019 has been spectacular, critics and fans alike are hugely excited about what 2020 holds for her.
To find out more about the in-store gigs and what to expect on the night please visit https://www.oxfordstreet.co.uk/christmas-switch-on-evening/
What’s more over 40 stores will be celebrating the Switch On evening with one night only offers including up to 20% off from selected stores, gift with purchases, in-store giveaways and complimentary festive drinks, plus much more.
Activity highlights include:
- John Lewis & Partners will be home to a festive rooftop, cocktails galore and a free glass of prosecco with every meal at Rossopomodoro inside!
- Lush will be hosting hair and make-up pamper sessions, plus visitors will have the chance to create their own festive bathbombs and bubble bars in store from 5.30pm.
- Celebrate this festive season at River Island as they host the ultimate party shopping experience. Sip on complimentary prosecco and beer whilst you enjoy the live DJ set and grab one of the on-hand RI stylists to assist with gifting needs!
- Swing by Asics to warm up those vocal chords just in time for Christmas with their live band. If that’s not enough, benefit from special Christmas wrapping, a customisation station and a gift with any trainer purchase.
- Relax at The Body Shop with a complimentary signature hand massage, a makeover at their make-up station and much more. Visitors will also be able to create their own festive boomerang GIF whilst there!
Luciana Magliocco, Associate Director at New West End Company says:
“After such a successful switch-on shopping evening last year, we’re thrilled to bring the in-store gigs back to Oxford Street, along with amazing one-night only offers to celebrate our innovative new lighting scheme. We are internationally known for our annual spectacular, and this year will be no different as we offer an unrivalled festive shopping experience with the likes of Ms. Banks and Joy Crookes performing.”
The new lighting scheme is the first in six years and feature 27 spectacular LED light curtains draped over the length of the street, made up of 220,000 sparkling lights. Not only visually compelling, the new lighting scheme utilises the latest in progressive LED technology which provided energy savings of up to 90% against conventional lighting.
Capital XTRA Breakfast hosts Yinka and Shayna Marie says:
“We are so excited to get the Christmas party started for one of the most iconic shopping streets in Europe. We’ll be bringing the high energy and banging tunes from our ç breakfast show to kick things off and will be watching the incredible line up of breakthrough acts take to the stores and will no doubt give shoppers performances to remember.”
Find information on all offers from your favourite brands
Stay updated and join the conversation @oxfordstreetW1 #FestiveFeelsOnOxfordStreet