Chessington World of Adventures Resort introduces Story School this February half-term, following shocking statistics from its recent survey revealing 36% of UK parents feel nervous about reading stories to their children at bedtime.
Story School, a storytelling masterclass, will be hosted by Binky Felstead, with Master Story Teller, Kevin Graal, guiding parents on the most effective story time tips and techniques. The aim of the one-of-a-kind workshop is to help parents bring books to life for their children.
A theme park, like Chessington, might not normally be a leading voice in the world of children’s literacy, however the Surrey resort is bringing to life yet another children’s book this year, author Julia Donaldson and illustrator Axel Scheffler’s Room on the Broom.
Top Tips From Kevin Graal:
- Listen to your child’s responses and build their comments into the story so it becomes their story
- Don’t feel locked into the text of a story book, feel free to adapt the text
- Narrate the storyline or the images in your own words, as you will come back to the story book over and over again, so you can always read the real text another time
- If you are not a confident reader you can always go by the pictures and make the story your own to build confidence.
- You can leave out bits, expand, change the words or ignore the text completely.
For more story time tips or to enquire about attending Story School visit https://www.chessington.com.