Ahead of the FISE World Series 2021, eight-time BMX world champion, Matthias Dandois, shares his advice to help take your training and BMX cycling to the next level. Matthias blurs the lines between flatland and street riding, enthusiastically crossing over the disciplines of both sports. Whilst dominating the BMX flatland world stage, he continues to constantly progress and bring creativity to his BMX tricks.
Currently training for the FISE World Series 2021, Matthias will be competing in the flatland category and attempting to win his ninth world champion title. The second official stage of the season is being held in Montpellier in June. This championship event has more than 2,700 athletes from around the world competing each year and brings together the best athletes from BMX freestyle park, flatland and many others.
After almost 20 years of performing BMX tricks (he received his first bike from his parents, aged 12), Matthias wants to share tips and tricks from his time in the sport and the challenges he has faced throughout the years.
As a Red Bull athlete, Matthias believes that BMX is an art form, and that being creative and knowing your vision is a key element in the success in BMX freestyle. Embracing risk is also an important part of the sport, putting yourself into the moment fully. Several years ago, Matthias broke his foot, but he did not let that dampen his spirits. The injury taught him to be patient and listen to his body, making him eat healthier and think about something other than his bike. He later went on to win several world champion titles and he’s hoping for another chance of glory.
Having a good BMX music playlist is also important to Matthias, as it helps him focus, create new tricks and makes training more enjoyable. His extensive playlist is played on shuffle every day, and includes his current favourite tracks to get hyped up to and that keep him motivated throughout long training days.
Matthias’ Top Ten Tips:
- Motivational playlist – Create a motivating music playlist.
- Embrace risk – Make an effort to try new things and embrace risk in your daily routine.
- Good nutrition – Work with a nutritionist to fuel your body correctly for your sport.
- Travel – Travelling to new places to ride and meeting new people can spark inspiration and help creativity.
- Mental preparation – Mentally preparing for competitions and training, using meditation and analysing sleep cycles.
- Learn something new every day – Don’t leave your spot until you learn something new. It could be the smallest variation to a trick, but it keeps your motivation high.
- Hobbies – Have other creative outlets. Matthias enjoys photography and runs his own production company allowing him to merge both creative outlets.
- Good Crew – It’s always more fun to share a good session with friends!
- Social media – It can be a good motivation sometimes, by posting new tricks and interacting with your community for some feedback.
- Celebrate your victories – Work hard, play hard!
Matthias Dandois says: “I like to be challenged every single day, I get a buzz from training and I’m excited for FISE 2021. Winning another year will motivate me to win my 10th world title next year; a whole decade of being a BMX world champion would be pretty amazing.”
The FISE World Series 2021 is being held from 4th– 8th June in Montpelier.