“When it come to Festivals, I believe it’s definitely one of the best times to really experiment with your style. Be playful, have a bit of fun and don’t take yourself too seriously” says Tv and Wardrobe/Stylist to the stars Miss Sabrina Grant. Having worked with everyone from Sabrina took time out of her chocka block schedule to give us the Do’s and Don’ts for this years Festivals
I love seeing festival goers dressed as fairies or in animal onesies – fancy dress is never a chore in my books. But what I love the most is that you have the freedom to be completely individual with genuine fashion choices, you can be bold and as completely outlandish as you like.
If you’re looking for a little more guidance into a stylish alternative approach to your festival gear, have a little gander through my Top Ten list of festival essentials.
- DITCH THE WELLIES! Forget wellies this year and go for boots! I always take my DR Martens, but anything you own that you don’t mind getting a little muddy will do. Go ankle, thigh high and even cowboy! Don’t wear a high heeled boot though! Ain’t nobody got time for that!! Buy here.
- BUY A BUMBAG! You won’t see me at a festival without one. I LOVE them! Go bright and crazy patterned or discreet. For an extra statement wear it across your chest like a Tarzan sash! Bumbags are perfect for keeping your personal belongings close and your hands free to wave in the air to your favourite bands (or hold your lukewarm pint!)
- THROW SHADE! Don’t forget your Sunglasses! Don’t take your most expensive pair, you will sit on them or lose them in a bog. Buy here.
- GO LARGE! Wear oversized anything and everything! Charity shops are great way to find some really good oversized gems. Jumpers, shirts and T-shirts with the sleeves rolled up or chopped off – get the scissors out before you go! They are also SO comfortable. You’ll thank me later.
- USE YOUR HEAD! Wear something on your head. If you like D.I.Y like me you can pimp out your own headgear. Whether it be a hat, head scarf or a headband. Hair gems are also great to braid into your hair.
- PACK-A-MAC! It wouldn’t be a UK festival if it didn’t rain. So you will need a mac! I like the small pack-a-macs that fold away. If you want something more shielding from the rain be sure to take one of those clear macs so people can still have a look at your amazing outfit underneath it all. Buy here.
- MORE IS THE NEW LESS! (Yes, I totally made that up…) but why not mix it up and go for maxi instead of mini! I’m really into netting and sheer dresses at the minute – which you can still put over those short shorts!
- SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND! If you love a bit of sequins & glitter now is your time! Denim mixed with glitter and sequins always has the wow factor but you can’t beat a vintage number – which you can be sure no one else will be wearing.
- MATCHY MATCHY TIME! Think Cher and Dionne in Clueless! A matching two piece is a dream come true. Also look for patterned, bleached or embellished denim and shiny psychedelic two pieces/separates in any combination of jackets with trousers or skirts. Shorts and shirts, belly tops & high-waisted anything. Have fun, go mad! Buy here.
- THINK PINK! Have you noticed how much pink is in the shops at the moment? I’m obsessed with it. Why not try dressing top to toe in different shades of pink? Or any colour for that matter.
EXTRA FUN TIP! I like to give myself a made up theme for each day. Think ‘Bohemian Rock God/Goddess,’ ‘80’s Wannabe Drag Queen’ or ‘Army Space Cadet’ …I know none of these make sense but it’s a surprisingly helpful device to channel your outfit and make you stand out from the crowd!
You can check out Super star stylist Sabrina Grant